Top-Rated Dentists in Wilmington NC Offer Life-Changing Periodontal Treatment
Advanced gingivitis and periodontal disease can make a person’s life miserable. The pain creates challenges in chewing foods they previously enjoyed. Lingering bad breath may make them less socially outgoing and drain them of confidence.
Seeing a periodontal specialist for treatment may have a life-changing effect on such patients. Wrightsville Dental, a group of four dentists in Wilmington, NC, combines state-of-the-art technology and expertise to ensure that patients get the best treatment.
Who Should See a Periodontist?
A person who is experiencing any of the following symptoms should see a dentist at Wrightsville Dental:
- Loose teeth
- An incorrectly aligned bite
- Receding gums
- Evidence of bone density loss
- Gaps between the gums and teeth
Patients may speak to Dr. James Gainer first to get recommendations. During the early stages of gingivitis, regular dental treatment might suffice. However, once the periodontal disease starts to set in, periodontic specialist care is a better course of action.
What Treatments Might They Recommend?
The periodontal treatment will depend upon the severity of the problem. The periodontist may recommend:
- Scaling: This treatment removes hard tartar and cleans the outside of the mouth. It is a procedure that general dentists also perform.
- Root Surface Debridement: With this treatment, the dentist scrapes away dirt and tartar accumulating beneath the gumline. The treatment is not painful, but it may leave the gums tender for a few days.
- Root Planing: Following scaling or debridement, the dentist exposes the root and smooths the surface, leaving germs no place to hide. The procedure takes place under a local anesthetic to ensure no pain. The area may feel a little tender for a day or two afterward.
- Gingivectomy: This is surgery to cut out layers of infected gum tissue. The periodontist also removes some of the surrounding healthy tissue to ensure that every trace of infection is gone. They then suture the wound.
- Bone Grafts: In advanced cases, the jawbone begins to degrade. Bone grafts help to rebuild and strengthen those areas. The doctor usually performs this surgical procedure under a general anesthetic.
With the right treatment, skilled dentists may stop periodontal disease in its tracks. A periodontist with cosmetic dentistry skills may also restore the look of the mouth afterward.
What to Expect During the First Visit to Wrightsville Dental in Wilmington, NC
Patients should bring a copy of their dental records and a list of the medication they are taking. The first consultation takes a little longer than the others since it allows the dentist to learn more about the patient and their history.
Should the patient suffer from chronic conditions such as diabetes, it may impact the treatment protocol. Therefore, the patient needs to tell the periodontist about their medical history.
Once the medical interview is over, the specialist evaluates the condition of the mouth. The periodontist then formulates a recommended treatment plan. Patients may thoroughly discuss the options available to them with their dentist at Wrightsville Dental.
The Expert Team at Wrightsville Dental Can Change Lives
Anyone who has constant dental pain making life difficult should schedule a consultation for periodontal treatment with Wrightsville Dental in Wilmington, NC, today. The team will carefully evaluate the situation and find the best solution for a patient’s condition and needs.